Friday, June 30, 2006

Monmouth In June

A short paddle from Symmonds Yat to Monmouth. The water was good, the weirs had ok waves, but nowt huge. It took 2 & half hours including faffing time to get to Monmouth to meet Claire with the lunch. I wanted to practise some turns in the Rendevous, but as always she was very tricky. I tipped once just above Biblins trying to catch an eddy. To ferry you need to keep very tight angle to the current, as if the bow catches it spins very quickly & is difficult to recouver. I did manage some ok turns. The boat also spins when drifting, immediately across the current & is ok drifting sideways, but always like to point downstream. In open water with a bit of power & canted over is a fast boat. My Grumman, I played in the weir above Hay & paddled her stern first & was very smooth to paddle solo & was fun, but is a BIG & Heavy boat for the rest of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home